email address change problems
Paul Burkey
2003-09-12 02:50:27 UTC

I've been with Nildram only about 2 weeks now, the service is great
but I've got big problems with email.

When I got my welcome document/emails I was given the email
address ***@nildram.co.uk and I configured various forwarding
accounts to forward email to that mailbox. It all worked fine for
two weeks, I collected pop3 mail ok and could also access it
from webmail. All was fine until about two days ago nildram seem
to have deleted that mail account.

I called support and was told my address is really ***@gotadsl.co.uk
and the @nildram.co.uk bit must have been a mistake. This is a bit
annoying because I've now lost hundreds of emails because my
forwarding accounts are forwarding to the wrong place and some
of them I dont have access to, I'm waiting for them to be redirected :(

Anyway, almost sorted now but I cant collect email! I can see it
when I log into webmail but I cant access it by pop3. I have checked
the website for help but most of the help pages appear to be
outdated and showing conflicting examples.

Can someone tell me what is the pop3 server I should use? I
use pop3.nildram.co.uk at the moment. Also, how do I log into
pop3 server, i presume with just my username 'shoecake'.

It does seem odd that my mailbox IS there and mail is arriving
ok and I can access by webmail. So I presume I just have the
wrong information regarding pop3 the server.

Cheers,

Paul

***@gotadsl.co.uk
Simon Atkinson
2003-09-12 06:26:19 UTC
Log in as Shoecake. Your email address is ***@nildram.co.uk have a
look at the user pages at http://users.nildram.net/ - login with
shoecake and your dial-up/connection password. All you need to know is
there.
--
Simes
Return address ROT'd...
Tony Sutton
2003-09-12 07:07:25 UTC
Post by Paul Burkey
annoying because I've now lost hundreds of emails because my
forwarding accounts are forwarding to the wrong place and some
of them I dont have access to, I'm waiting for them to be redirected :(
I'm wondering why http://users.nildram.net/config_mail.php is telling me
that it's ***@nildram.co.uk

Perhaps someone from Nildram here can tell us?
--
- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!
Bob Cox
2003-09-12 07:08:38 UTC
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 03:50:27 +0100, in article
Post by Paul Burkey
annoying because I've now lost hundreds of emails because my
forwarding accounts are forwarding to the wrong place and some
of them I dont have access to, I'm waiting for them to be redirected :(
Your adsl login should be ***@gotadsl.co.uk and your email address
should be ***@nildram.co.uk.

This should have been sent to you as a .pdf file when you first signed up,
AFAIK.

You can also set up one sub-domain for free - for example, shoecake. Then
you could receive mail to <anyuser>@shoecake.nildram.co.uk.

From the support pages:

POP3 Incoming Mail Server
pop3.nildram.co.uk

SMTP Outgoing Mail Server
smtp.nildram.co.uk

News Server
news.nildram.co.uk

Time Server
ntp.nildram.co.uk

Personal Web/FTP Server
homepages.nildram.co.uk
Post by Paul Burkey
Anyway, almost sorted now but I cant collect email! I can see it
when I log into webmail but I cant access it by pop3. I have checked
the website for help but most of the help pages appear to be
outdated and showing conflicting examples.
Can someone tell me what is the pop3 server I should use? I
use pop3.nildram.co.uk at the moment. Also, how do I log into
pop3 server, i presume with just my username 'shoecake'.
Check that you can login to the mailbox from
http://www.mail2web.com/cgi-bin/login.asp?lid=0&il=0 by entering
pop3.nildram.co.uk, shoecake and your password. If this works then at
least you know the mailbox exists and you can login.
http://pippin.co.uk/
Colin Swan
2003-09-12 08:21:18 UTC
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 03:50:27 +0100, "Paul Burkey"
Post by Paul Burkey
Hi,
[...]
OK, there does appear to be some confusion here, so I had better
explain how things are at the moment.

Basically, we have two different mail systems here at Nildram,
"classic" and dslMail. Any customers with one of the new "dsl"
accounts will have dslMail. That means that their address will be
***@gotadsl.co.uk or ***@login.gotadsl.co.uk and they should
use the following mail servers:

incoming: pop3.gotadsl.co.uk
outgoing: smtp.gotadsl.co.uk

When logging in, either using their mail client or webmail, they
should use the whole e-mail address as the login.

Apologies for the confusion over addresses, please PM me with some
details of when you signed up and what you received and I will take a
look at the docs to ensure that we minimise the possible confusion
here.

Colin Swan
Paul Burkey
2003-09-12 13:18:28 UTC
Post by Colin Swan
Basically, we have two different mail systems here at Nildram,
"classic" and dslMail. Any customers with one of the new "dsl"
accounts will have dslMail. That means that their address will be
incoming: pop3.gotadsl.co.uk
outgoing: smtp.gotadsl.co.uk
When logging in, either using their mail client or webmail, they
should use the whole e-mail address as the login.
Apologies for the confusion over addresses, please PM me with some
details of when you signed up and what you received and I will take a
look at the docs to ensure that we minimise the possible confusion
here.
Thanks Colin! Working now.

The original confusion came when I was sent a pdf "OLO25157 1.pdf" which
told me to collect mail from pop3.nildram.co.uk with the username shoecake
and my email address was ***@nildram.co.uk and the thing is, this
worked fine for 2 weeks.

Now I've been switched over to the dslMail, although I do get the feeling
I was on BOTH systems for a while. When I first called Nildram about
this I was told it had "always been this way", I guess the support guy was
right, but I was getting "classic" for the first two weeks.

Thanks to the many others who responded to my request. As you can see
nobody knew the correct details, even those who quoted from the website!

Anyway, now that's over. I will continue to enjoy the service and maybe
I wont have to endure any more of that Rock'n'Roll stuff on the support
line.

Cheers,

Paul
Roger Barker
2003-09-12 22:03:13 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, Colin Swan
<***@AT.nildram> writes
[snip]
Post by Colin Swan
OK, there does appear to be some confusion here, so I had better
explain how things are at the moment.
Basically, we have two different mail systems here at Nildram,
"classic" and dslMail. Any customers with one of the new "dsl"
accounts will have dslMail.
What is a 'new "dsl" account'? Do all ADSL accounts fall into that
category?
--
Roger Barker ***@peaksys.co.uk
Boston, UK
Colin Swan
2003-09-16 13:13:50 UTC
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 23:03:13 +0100, Roger Barker
Post by Roger Barker
[snip]
Post by Colin Swan
OK, there does appear to be some confusion here, so I had better
explain how things are at the moment.
Basically, we have two different mail systems here at Nildram,
"classic" and dslMail. Any customers with one of the new "dsl"
accounts will have dslMail.
What is a 'new "dsl" account'? Do all ADSL accounts fall into that
category?
No, as from 29th August we launched a new range of broadband services,
along with dslMail for customers with those new services. In the main
it has been a rebranding exercise, so there isn't a lot different
about the accounts themselves, but the mail is a new thing. We are
intending to make it an option for existing customers within the next
few months.

Colin Swan
Richard Grimes
2003-09-13 19:07:32 UTC
Post by Colin Swan
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 03:50:27 +0100, "Paul Burkey"
Hmmm, maybe I have been doing something wrong but I cannot get this to work.
Post by Colin Swan
Basically, we have two different mail systems here at Nildram,
"classic" and dslMail. Any customers with one of the new "dsl"
accounts will have dslMail. That means that their address will be
I assume by 'login' you mean the name of our Nildram account (so in Paul's
case he should use ***@gotadsl.co.uk or
***@shoecake.gotadsl.co.uk).

I also assume that the password is the same as we use for
pop3.nildram.co.uk.

However, I find that when I telnet to pop3.gotadsl.co.uk on port 110 with my
details I get:

-ERR authorization failed

However, if I telnet to pop3.nildram.co.uk and use my login name as the USER
and the same password I used before I can access my POP3 account. What am I
doing wrong?

Richard
Colin Swan
2003-09-16 13:20:50 UTC
Post by Colin Swan
Basically, we have two different mail systems here at Nildram,
"classic" and dslMail. Any customers with one of the new "dsl"
accounts will have dslMail. That means that their address will be
I assume by 'login' you mean the name of our Nildram account (so in Paul's
I also assume that the password is the same as we use for
pop3.nildram.co.uk.
However, I find that when I telnet to pop3.gotadsl.co.uk on port 110 with my
-ERR authorization failed
However, if I telnet to pop3.nildram.co.uk and use my login name as the USER
and the same password I used before I can access my POP3 account. What am I
doing wrong?
If you can authenticate on pop3.nildram.co.uk, then you will not be
able to on pop3.gotadsl.co.uk, as you will not have dslMail. If that's
not the case, and you think you should have dslMail, PM me with your
login and I'll take a look.

Colin Swan
Richard Grimes
2003-09-17 12:31:20 UTC
Post by Richard Grimes
However, if I telnet to pop3.nildram.co.uk and use my login name as
the USER and the same password I used before I can access my POP3
account. What am I doing wrong?
If you can authenticate on pop3.nildram.co.uk, then you will not be
able to on pop3.gotadsl.co.uk, as you will not have dslMail. If that's
not the case, and you think you should have dslMail, PM me with your
login and I'll take a look.
I have been using Nildram ADSL since the beginning of the year so I guess I
am not on dslMail as you mention in another post, since I am not a new user.
However, since you say that Nildram will be making "it an option for
existing customers within the next few months", I am happy to wait until it
is made available to me :)

Richard